About RSN Online Courses
Learn Embroidery the RSN Way
RSNOnlineCourses.com is a partnership between the Royal School of Needlework and SewandSo, a trading name of F&W Media International Ltd. The Royal School of Needlework (RSN) is the international centre of excellence for the art of hand embroidery, based at the magnificent Hampton Court Palace in southwest London. With a thriving education programme, the RSN offers a range of courses for beginners through to advanced stitchers to learn embroidery.
This distance learning programme brings the Royal School of Needlework's expertise in the techniques of hand embroidery to a global audience from the comfort of home. Nothing rivals the experience of an in-person embroidery course with the RSN but, for many people, making the trip to one of the RSN teaching centres or international summer schools is simply not feasible. So these online embroidery courses bring the RSN to you.
The RSN was founded in 1872 with a mission to revive a beautiful art which had fallen into disuse and to provide employment for women. Since then, the RSN Embroidery Studio has created some of the most important and iconic embroidered works in recent history, including Queen Victoria's funeral pall, the coronation regalia for King George V, the robe of state for Queen Elizabeth II, and the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress among them. Please visit the RSN main website for more information.
The Online Classroom
Sign up for a course and you will get instant access to our online classroom, which uses advanced technology to deliver an exceptional learning experience to students.
- QUALIFIED RSN TUTORS: All our courses are led by qualified Royal School of Needlework Tutors who are highly accomplished embroiderers and experienced embroidery teachers, meaning you learn embroidery from the very best.
- HD VIDEO LESSONS: Each course is broken down into manageable video lessons, featuring around two hours of video that you can pause, rewind, skip forward and watch as many times as you need. This covers as much instruction as a typical three-day in-person class at the RSN.
- COURSE MATERIALS: The essential materials for the course will be delivered to you as a kit by post. Additional equipment or materials that are needed are specified in the course description.
- CLASS RESOURCES: Alongside the video lessons, the course also includes additional resources including stitch guides and diagrams for you to download and keep, so you can continue to learn embroidery after the course finishes.
- INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE: Share your work in the course gallery and connect with other students on the course via the classroom discussion board.