Join Royal School of Needlework Tutor Helen McCook for this Introduction to Blackwork Embroidery course, and learn how to stitch a striking puffin design using traditional and modern techniques. On this course you will learn a wide variety of Blackwork filling patterns including Octagonal Star, Interlocking I, Waffle, Honeycomb, Rounded Eyelet and more, as well as ingenious ways to change the tone and texture of the work using different thread densities and by manipulating the stitch patterns themselves. Helen will show you everything you need to know to get started with Blackwork. The kit that accompanies the course includes all the materials you'll need to create the embroidery with Helen. During the course you'll learn about the history of this age-old technique and lots of Royal School of Needlework tips on how to get a professional finish to your work. Start your RSN journey today with this Introduction to Blackwork Embroidery.
- Meet Your Tutor
- Course Materials
- Transferring the Design
- Your Blackwork Project
- Octagonal Star
- Rounded Eyelet
- Small Diamond
- Interlocking I's
- One-to-One Hole
- Final Details
- Discussion Board & Gallery: Interact with other learners in the course by asking questions, expressing your thoughts and inspirations, and sharing images of your work.
- Notes: Keep personal notes to help you with your work and the course content.
- Interactive Activities: Test your knowledge of the material you have covered.
- Video Lesson Running Time: 99 minutes.
- The videos in this course are available for you to watch via online streaming
- 32-count Belfast linen
- Tapestry and embroidery needles
- Stranded cotton, coton a broder and machine-weight thread
- Water erasable pen
- Design template
- Please note that your kit will not include instructions on stitching the design, as this is all contained within the online course.
You will also need:
Watch a preview of Introduction to Blackwork Course:
|Product Type||Course + Kit|
I enjoyed the course review by Shirley R. on 10/25/2018
It would have been helpful to have a second skein of the cotton a broder rather than the stranded cotton. I ran out of the former and switched to 2 strands of the latter to finish the shading. The stranded cotton is readily available, and I have a lot of it. The coton a broder is not available locally and ordering would have been a lengthy process.
Keep up the good work review by Elsebeth L. on 9/14/2018
I just love that I can do the courses on-line. It is not that easy to travel to another country. The videos were excellent and really easy to follow. This was my first but not last blackwork. I really love the technique. Why not add another blackwork embroidery that is a bit more experienced. These courses also make RSN known abroad to a wider audience. And I talk about them frequently with other embroiderers that I meet. So keep up the good work.
Shipping and delivery options and prices are provided at checkout based on the items in your basket and your location. For more information visit our Delivery Prices page.
If you have purchased a course you can access it immediately after your purchase.
- Click on “Login” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “My Account” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Workshops”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course button to the right to access your product.