Join Royal School of Needlework Tutor Becky Hogg for this Introduction to Goldwork course and learn how to stitch a beautiful hellebore flower design that feels both traditional and yet modern. In this course you will learn a variety of hand embroidery stitches including Herringbone Stitch, how to pad the fabric to give depth to your design, Couching, Cutwork, Chipping, how to plunge the ends of your metal threads and more. The kit that accompanies the course includes all the materials you need to create the embroidery with Becky. During the course you'll learn about the most famous piece of Goldwork in existence and lots of Royal School of Needlework tips to ensure a professional finish.
- Meet Your Tutor
- Overview and Materials
- Applying the Backing
- Applying the Padding: Felt
- Applying the Padding: Soft String
- Brick Couching with Smooth Passing
- Brick Couching Variations
- Petal Veins with Pearl Purl
- Combining Pearl Purl and Passing
- Chipping for Flower Centre
- Cutwork for Leaflets
- Adding Spangles and Final Details
- Discussion Board & Gallery: Interact with other learners in the course by asking questions, expressing your thoughts and inspirations, and sharing images of your work.
- Notes: Keep personal notes to help you with your work and the course content.
- Interactive Activities: Test your knowledge of the material you have covered.
- Video Lesson Running Time: 160 minutes. The videos in this course are available for you to watch via online streaming.
- Silk fabric, pre-printed with the design
- Calico backing fabric
- Gold-coloured craft felt and templates
- Yellow soft string
- Gutermann sewing thread
- All the metal threads
- Embroidery and chenille needles
You will also need:
Watch for a Course Preview:
|Product Type||Course + Kit|
Enjoyed every minute review by Elaine L. on 2/19/2019
I have finished my Goldwork piece and I must thank you so much. I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute and am so pleased I decided to take the course. Your calm attitude gave me much confidence. I kept turning back to refer to different points, it was extremely well produced and well worth doing. Even though I have done previous Goldwork I learnt so much technique that it is not always possible to glean from books. I hope at some time in the future there may be a follow up to it? Very many thanks you have given a lot of pleasure.
Excellent review by Sarah M. on 1/30/2019
Loved this course - all questions answered in the great quality videos - I ran out of one thread, but Sew & So provided more free of charge after a phone call. Excellent value for money.
Excellent review by Tara L. on 12/7/2018
I had a great time taking this course online. I do not have a lot of experience but managed it without difficulty. The materials were excellent quality and the instruction was first rate. I enjoyed it so much I immediately signed up to take other courses.
Five stars review by Mary P. on 11/9/2018
I thoroughly enjoyed this class and very pleased with my sample. I've seen where I need to improve in my work and where I surprised myself by doing better than I expected. Ms. Hogg is an excellent teacher and the video was shot correctly so I could see what was happening. I have ordered another class on Crewel work and Im looking forward to that one as well. The only problem I had was the spangles packaging when I opened the box and took out the spangles I lost several of the so I used what I had left other than that I have only good things to say about your online courses. Perhaps you will add more classes on goldwork later that would be incredible.
Five stars review by Sarah W. on 10/1/2018
I so enjoy your courses.
Magnificent review by Margareth on 8/17/2018
I can tick off one more item from my bucket list. It is not difficult but it is laborious and you need to pay much more attention than with other embroidery techniques and the little mistakes are difficult to hide. I really enjoyed it and I strongly recommend doing it. Thank you for making the basic pattern and a photo of the final project available. It helps a lot. Thank you for adding the login instructions in the kit. To measure the metal to be cut I found easier to use a sewing gauge, it avoided to recut the piece shorter. As the materials for this techniques are not widely available, it will be useful to have a list of possible suppliers in your web site. May be this is very obvious for you but it took me a while to find them in the internet.
Shipping and delivery options and prices are provided at checkout based on the items in your basket and your location. For more information visit our Delivery Prices page.
If you have purchased a course you can access it immediately after your purchase.
- Click on “Login” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “My Account” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Workshops”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course button to the right to access your product.