Join Royal School of Needlework Tutor Deborah Wilding for this Introduction to Jacobean Crewelwork course, and learn how to stitch a beautiful floral design that feels both traditional and yet modern. In this course you will learn a wide variety of hand embroidery stitches including Trellis Stitch, Chain Stitch, Fly Stitch, Long and Short Shading, Woven Wheel, French Knots, Split Stitch and more. Deborah will show you everything you need to know to get started with Crewelwork. The kit that accompanies the course includes all the materials you'll need to create the embroidery along with Deborah. During the course you'll learn the history of this age-old technique and lots of tips on how to get a super professional finish to your work. Start your Royal School of Needlework journey today with this Introduction to Crewelwork.
- Meet Your Tutor
- Course Materials
- Your Crewelwork Project
- Pomegranate - Trellis Stitch
- Pomegranate - Raised Stem
- Pomegranate - Closed Fly Stitch
- Leaves - Seeding Stitch
- Leaves - Long & Short with Split Stitch
- Leaves - Stem Stitch
- Petals - Open Fly Stitch
- Flower - French Knots & Stem Stitch
- Flower - Woven Wheel
- Stem - Chain Stitch
- Final Details
- Discussion Board & Gallery: Interact with other learners in the course by asking questions, expressing your thoughts and inspirations, and sharing images of your work.
- Notes: Keep personal notes to help you with your work and the course content.
- Interactive Activities: Test your knowledge of the material you have covered.
- Video Lesson Running Time: 131 minutes.
- The videos in this course are available for you to watch via online streaming
- Printed linen twill fabric
- Tapestry and chenille needles
- Appletons crewel wool in the required shades
- Please note that your kit will not include instructions on stitching the design, as this is all contained within the online course.
You will also need:
Watch a preview of Introduction to Jacobean Crewelwork Course:
|Product Type||Course + Kit|
Loved this course! review by Ruth K. on 1/30/2019
Loved this course! Would have liked a printed copy of the pattern to do again in different colours. I couldn't find the section detailing the lines down the centre of the trellis work. Did I miss it somewhere?
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed your on line course.
I loved it review by Claudia on 1/16/2019
I have no embroidery experience apart from a little beading but could follow along very well. Deborah provides excellent explanation and the videos are structured in an intelligent way that makes it easy to follow. The tutor gives out very helpful advice and suggestions and I really enjoyed both the process and the finished project so much more than I had expected! The course also provides a solid basis to try out something else with the stitching techniques learnt and there is plenty of wool left over for another project. A seat frame or something similar is indeed very helpful. I did half the project without it but I think for some of the stitching having both hands free is a requirement. So I would recommend getting one before starting the project.
Enjoyed the course review by Linda B. on 1/14/2019
I've enjoyed the course and felt that both the level of instruction and pace were as described.
I am disappointed that I'm left with a piece of work in a hoop with no idea how to finish it. For instance does it require blocking as I would with a quilt? How do I get it from hoop to frame?
Enjoyed it very much review by Alexia F. on 1/14/2019
Deborah is a very good, clear, calm and concise instructor.
Five stars review by Sherri H. on 11/1/2018
I just finished the online course "Introduction to Jacobean Crewel" and loved it! The videos and instructor are wonderful and the course is very thorough. I am a beginner to crewel work and was very pleased with my accomplishment. I would highly recommend this course!
Testimonial review by Lisa A. on 10/31/2018
Really enjoyed doing the course. Learnt how to do the stitches properly and now looking forward to the next one.
Delightful review by Helen A on 10/9/2018
All in all a delightful piece to work on with excellent guidance.
I would like to suggest a couple of additions to the videos.
1. Please demonstrate how to stem stitch the additional embellishment on the pomegranate. I wasn't sure how to navigate the underlying trellis stitches.
2. Also the stem stitch of the curly tendrils needs explaining as all the stitches fall in towards the curve if they are pulled too tight.
Five stars review by Geraldine L. on 10/9/2018
Exceptional review by Melissa V. on 10/9/2018
I found this online class to be very well constructed. The instructor is lovely and explains each step clearly. The video quality is exceptional and the still close-up pictures are extremely helpful. I do think a quick introduction explaining how to get the hoop and fabric piece ready to begin would be very helpful. I will definitely purchase another project in the future. Thank you for offering this course.
Five stars review by Sarah W. on 9/17/2018
Easy to follow review by Jennifer D. on 9/6/2018
I wasn’t sure how well an online course for embroidery would work, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to follow along and how clearly the stitches were explained and shown on the screen. The instructor was highly engaging and gave useful tips along the way. I recommend this online course and can’t wait to see the future offerings from RSN.
Thank you review by Coleen G. on 9/6/2018
Thank you Deborah and RSN for offering this online course. Deborah is a wonderful instructor, the project was fun and the course very informative. A looking forward to more online offerings.
Brilliant review by Gillian B. on 9/6/2018
I have learned so much from Deborah. Thank you for making this accessible and easy to follow. I have loved every moment of the course, you make it look so easy, but I have realised that practice definitely helps!
Just wonderful. Where is the next one? review by Margareth on 7/18/2018
I just finished the online course on Introduction to Jacobean Crewel work. The course is wonderful. The pace is easy to follow. The images and close-ups are very net. The instructions and tips are very clear. I think people with any knowledge of embroidery can follow it. I strongly recommend it.
Some suggestions: include in the kit a colored photo/print-out of the final design and a print-out of the basic drawing; include in the kit the instructions on how to access the online course. In the Final remarks session include a brief discussion on possible fabrics that can be used with this type of embroidery.
So, what is the next one? I am right for it.
RSNOnlineCourses: Many thanks for your kind review Margareth, we will certainly take your comments on board. We now ship the kits with clearer instructions as to how to access the courses online. Introduction to Blackwork is available now, as the next course in our series. More courses will be coming soon.
Shipping and delivery options and prices are provided at checkout based on the items in your basket and your location. For more information visit our Delivery Prices page.
If you have purchased a course you can access it immediately after your purchase.
- Click on “Login” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “My Account” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Workshops”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course button to the right to access your product.